This is Daphne odoura (also called Winter Daphne) a very beautiful little flower with a very sweet and longlasting scent. Plant it by the front door to catch the scent as you walk by. It is evergreen and blooms at the end of winter.
Well here are the bad and the ugly. Skunk Cabbage---the flower when disturbed emits a foul odor hence the name skunk. One of the early Spring plants. Grows in ditches and wetlands.
So do you think somewhere back in time the skunk cabbage developed its odor as a defense against being eaten out of existence? I have to say, the first would be my choice.
When I saw the top shot thumbnail I thought they were orchids but these are also beautiful. I'm so intrigued by the yellow flowers, I don't know if I ever saw them.
9 comments:
I'm familiar with the skunk cabbage but would prefer a better scent by the front door. Happy Spring!!!
I like the little flower by your front door...don't think we have those here. We have citrus trees which give off a nice odor.
Skunk cabbage you can keep in Stanwood. We have more than enough stinkers in Florida!
I only know skunk cabbage from your posts! I don't think I'd ever seen (or smelled) Winter Daphne before, it's VERY pretty and delicate!
Skunk cabbage? LOL. You have to love the name. Not something I guess anyone would plant on purpose.
So do you think somewhere back in time the skunk cabbage developed its odor as a defense against being eaten out of existence? I have to say, the first would be my choice.
I wish I could smell the scent now, what a pretty flower. I have come across a lot skunk cabbage on my walks.
When I saw the top shot thumbnail I thought they were orchids but these are also beautiful. I'm so intrigued by the yellow flowers, I don't know if I ever saw them.
I wish I could grow Daphne! You can have the skunk cabbage though. :)
Gosh I actually miss those MB...sigh It's actually a fascinating plant though definitely smelly.
Post a Comment