SEE WHAT'S HAPPENING WHERE I LIVE

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Barrow's Goldeneye

I caught these guys hanging around the Ferry dock. Up to no good--I am so sure!!

The Barrow's Goldeneye is primarily a bird of the western mountain region of North America. It nests farther north than the Common Goldeneye, and in some cases even north of the tree line. The Barrow's Goldeneye prefers small, clear lakes and ponds.


Barrow's Goldeneyes are diving ducks, and whole groups of goldeneyes will dive at the same time. They forage around pilings, and most of their foraging is under water.
Female Barrow's Goldeneyes have gray bodies, brown heads, and yellow eyes. be


6 comments:

Lowell said...

These are beautiful! We never see such here. We do see mallards, but South Florida is overrun with "mucky" ducks which are truly ugly creatures!

George said...

Thanks for the pictures and information about these beautiful ducks.

Anonymous said...

Those ducks are really nice. The only ones we have around here are mallards. At least that's all I ever see.

Lady Di Tn said...

Neat ducks. I did not see any destinctive circles on the females nor do they have powdered faces. The male is truly handsome. Peace

EG CameraGirl said...

Wonderful capture, MB. I am finding ducks very hard to get. I have been chasing after common mergansers with next to no luck. I saw some today half way across the canal- way to far for my camera to reach.

Louis la Vache said...

"We'd better get quackin'!"