SEE WHAT'S HAPPENING WHERE I LIVE

Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Wet and Wild





Whoa, we are having some wet and windy weather out here. Parts of the state are worse off than others. record rainfall and record winds. Strange, and I'm not saying this out loud, but our power hasn't gone off in all this wind. Down the road they have been doing some logging and some of the trees they left have now come down a couple across the road. I went down to rhe Skagit River to see how high it was getting. It is high and muddy and full of fast moving debris but up river is usually where most of the flooding starts and then when and if all the side creeks and sloughs fill up it will get dicey down here. The big tragedy to me was that the tree we call 'the eagle tree' was blown over in the storm. It has been home to eagles for years. It is along the river and when they put in a new dike they removed most of the trees--not the eagle tree because of the huge nest--last year the one beside it came down so it was just a matter of time. But still---ahhh....
There do have a backup nest across the river, so they were prepared.
It is had to show a picture of a flooding river because it just looks like water and you can't see how fast it is moving. Here goes anyway and also the remains of the eagle nest. Not much left. I added another picture so my numbers are in the wrong order. It is a puzzle for you to figure out. MB
1. Picture of the skagit River at Mount Vernon, Wa. Brown, nasty and rolling
2. What's left of the nest and you can see overflow water from the river.
3. Little Pilchuck Creek. It was moving.
4. Another pic of what's left of the nest. I should have taken a pic of the tree so you could see how huge it was. It looks like the nest has been scavenged bt people who want a rememberance. (maybe)

4 comments:

Nancy Jo said...

Hi MB,
I saw on the news that you were getting a storm. Guess they were right. Now the upside down trees really are!! Sorry about the eagle tree, funny how we always feel bad for the animals is't it? Never mind the people.
We have been very windy here too, snow and rain. But not like you have had. Hope things are calming down there now.
Going to take my book and go to bed now, I have about a million books around here that I haven't read, well you know, a lot anyway.
I see you signed up on the new farmgirl thing for badges and other good stuff. I was never good at badges, I think I had one in girl scouts, and I think it was the one they gave you for joining.
NANCY JO

Alpicks Treasures said...

Stay warm and dry. I did see the news and it looks bad. Glad that your not in it as bad as the others. Poor little birdies, glad they have another nest to keep warm in. Take care and get the wraft prepared. LOL
Send it this way! We can use it.

Unknown said...

WOW, I wondering if that storm on the evening news was near you, all ok? Sorry to hear about the tree, always sad to lose one like that! Stay safe!!

Beemoosie said...

I am glad you are ok, MB, and sorry for the others who aren't as fortunate. I was thinking of you as I see all this on the news.
What a blessing for you to see Eagles in the wild. I am sorry for their tree too. Hope you can still watch them in their new home.