SEE WHAT'S HAPPENING WHERE I LIVE

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Safe Return

This is the Fisher Memorial called Safe Return at Zaunich Point Park at Squalicum Harbor in Bellingham Wa.
"In memory of Fishers of Whatcom County who have gone to sea in pursuit of their livelihood, never to return"


7 comments:

cieldequimper said...

In Brittany there's a whole wall of names of drowned fishermen, those who fished cod in Newfoundland in the 19th and early 20th centuries. These memorials are important.

Lowell said...

Fishing is a very dangerous occupation! The sea is so unforgiving. I'm always amazed when I see the power of the ocean up close!

Re your question on The Villages: I'm not much into practicing...it's important but I get bored quickly; I'd much rather be out on the course.

It was interesting, though, to see the guy with one arm hit the ball so well!

As to your comment about the logs, I think it would be wise of me to not say anything (which is very hard!)...you are very funny! :-))

Life Is A Road Trip said...

Is that guy trying to lasso a fish?

George said...

What a nice memorial. I like the idea of a fisherman getting ready to tie up his boat. Too often we forget how dangerous deep sea fishing can be.

EG CameraGirl said...

Fishing is such a scary occupation and many men do not return from the sea, unfortunately.

Magpie said...

A wonderful way to honor those who give their lives - literally - to the sea.

Unknown said...

Great memorial. Every winter we have news of fishermen that don't return...