SEE WHAT'S HAPPENING WHERE I LIVE

Thursday, January 20, 2011

River names

These rivers (all starting with an S) are all within minutes from my house and most I visit often. They are all Native American named.


Samish River means: Hunter
Skagit River: A member of the Salish People of the PNW
Stillaguamish: People of a Tribe
Snohomish: Widely debated--either Wet Snow or Sleeping Water
Skykomish means: Inland---which it is

I love all the rivers and visit them often.

7 comments:

Gaelyn said...

I remember how difficult it was to learn all these pronunciations. All beautiful rivers. You are fortunate to live so close to their energy.

cieldequimper said...

The names themselves just ring of water somehow.

George said...

Thanks for sharing these names with us. I really like features with Native American names, even if I can't always pronounce the names.

Lowell said...

That's very interesting.

More later.

Magpie said...

My father has a book about place names in Arizona. I always find it very interesting too.

Princess said...

You forgot the Spillchuck. Ahahahaha!

Life Is A Road Trip said...

Nice, post MB. If I had one river that close to me I would be visiting it, too. :-)