Grandfather Cuts Loose the Ponies is a sculpture of 15 wild horses that has crowned a prominent Central Washington hillside for more than a decade and is an inspiring sight for travelers along busy Washington Interstate 90 as they enter Grant County from the west.
The 200-foot line of life-size charging horses, the creation of David Govedare of Chewelah, Washington, captures a mystical spirit from a time when real wild horses roamed the steppes. Titled “Grandfather Cuts Loose the Ponies,” the scene symbolically re-creates the Great Spirit turning loose a herd of wild horses above the Columbia River’s Wanapum Lake.
Click on the image to see the true beauty







9 comments:
That's fabulous. I'm sort of expecting an Indian yodle (oh God, don't let my boyfriend hear or see that!)
Good grief, this is fantastic. What a sight. I would have sworn they were real. Very moving. Not many wild horses left anywhere, it seems.
Thanks, MB, for your fun and funny comments this morning. You always make my day!
I bet this is really breathing and to have seen it up close as you have would be a wonderful treat.
The previous pond photos make me want to come and stand by the pond and listen to the world come alive. Peace
Ohmigosh, I love it!
I love this! I believe you showed us photos of it before right? I don't think I've seen it in person because I haven't been to Washington in the last ten years. :)
I remember seeing this herd. It's a great sculpture.
I think I've seen this sculpture before, but your photo is absolutely marvelous. The horses are extraordinary and completely life-like.
They look so real! Who would have thought to put them there? Someone has a vision I don't but I certainly enjoyed them!
Oh what a sight, MB! Now that was an excellent idea to do such a thing!!! WoW!
Post a Comment