These petroglyphs are located at Vantage Washington along the Columbia River. At one time there was an Indian village and campground at the rivers edge but it was covered when the Wanapum dam was built. I remember as a kid hanging over the cliffs to see the paintings. They were saved and replaced at the park.
The area around Vantage has been occupied by the Wanapum tribe of Native Americans. About 60 Wanapum still live near the present day site of Wanapum Dam....
The site where these petroglyphs were found was inundated by the rising waters behind Wanapum Dam.


7 comments:
I was reading about Celilo Falls the other day after having seen so much about it on various reservations, which would bring me straight back to your salmon fishing collage of the other day and your Haida comments yesterday. I've got a busy day ahead (no, not halloweening no one does here) so I'll try to find some time later on to email you. This is another spot I would love to see.
Amazing! Do you know what they are saying?
I didn't realize there are petroglyphs there. Yet I'm glad they were saved from the flooding river. I've seen "She Who Watches" further west along the Columbia.
How wonderful that they have been saved. I have never seen petroglyphs up this close. although we have ome well-known ones two hours east of here near Peterborough, Ontario.
It is always nice to see things save for future generations. I am so happy they did not leave them to be covered by the water. Peace
It's nice that the petroglyphs were saved, although it is a shame that their historical location is now under water.
How wonderful to read that these petroglyphs were moved and saved just as the great temples in Egypt were save from the rising waters behind the Anwar Dam.
Post a Comment