SEE WHAT'S HAPPENING WHERE I LIVE

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Rosa Rugosa

Aren't these rose hips beautiful.
This is a Rosa Rugosa. I took these pics at Squalicum Harbor in Bellington.
Rose hips are crammed with vitamin C and are good for you. You can make tea and jam with them.





Rose Hip Tea
This is a very basic recipe.
Pour 1 cup of boiling water over 2 heaping teaspoons of chopped rose hips. You can use rose hips with or without their seeds. Steep the herbal tea, covered, for 15 minutes and strain. Sweeten the refreshing, slightly sour tea with honey, if desired. Drink hot or chilled.

6 comments:

Lowell said...

Thank you for the recipe. I ain't gonna drink any but it was nice of you to provide that.

I've seen Rose's hips before when she was young, but don't recall seeing anything that looked like this!

EG CameraGirl said...

Neat photos MB. I have a short hedge of Rosa rugosa in my side yard. I love how they bloom in spring and then again in early autumn. And, yes, the rose hips are wonderful!

Gaelyn said...

Obviously a great year for collecting rose hips. Love the tea.

George said...

I'm going to have to try this tea. Thanks for the recipe (and for the pictures).

joco said...

I wonder which Rose Jacob is talking about :-)
Thanks for the recipe. I always wondered how it is done. Which roses are giving us most Vitamin C? Do you know?
(1jo.co)

Life Is A Road Trip said...

I wish my hips looked like Rose's hips.