SEE WHAT'S HAPPENING WHERE I LIVE

Monday, December 6, 2010

A herd of Heron

I took these at English Boom historical Area on Skagit Bay between Stanwood and Camano Island.

I was watching the heron all by myself when a lady showed up and said "Oh, look, a herd of Heron:. Mebbe so!

There is a large rookery nearby and sometimes there are fairly large numbers of Heron but there were just several today.





You could click on an image to see it closer.

11 comments:

cieldequimper said...

Oh so blue, the water I mean. The last shot is fantastic.

What? No Advent calendar? I've got three!

Lowell said...

That's interesting. I think heron tend to be off by themselves. I've heard of a herd of heifers, even a gaggle of geese but never a herd of heron. Could it be that your lady friend didn't know what she was talking about? :-)

Magpie said...

According to what I found, a group of heron is called a scattering, sedge or seige. It said they could also be called a hedge of heron....somehow herd makes more sense. :)

Life Is A Road Trip said...

Wow, all these herons and eagles. You are really going to the birds up there!

cieldequimper said...

Ha! I've got two traditional ones with just images and a felt one that I filled with goodies!
Next year I'm planning a healthier one with walnuts, hazelnuts, whatever nuts, clementines, kumqats, tiny apples... :-)

Rose said...

That is a lot of herons to be in one shot!

There is a rookery a few miles from here but I have yet to be there when the herons are there.

Gaelyn said...

Wonderful to see so many Heron gathered. I saw a rookery once in eastern WA and had to laugh at these long-legged birds landing in the tops of tall trees. You live in such a great wintering ground for birds.

George said...

You got some good pictures of the 'herd', but also of that beautiful bay.

EG CameraGirl said...

There's supposed to be a heron rookery somewhere in these parts too but I haven't found it yet.

I have NEVER seen so many herons in one place before!

Marka said...

Good sightings!

Unknown said...

Lovely!