SEE WHAT'S HAPPENING WHERE I LIVE

Sunday, February 8, 2009

Almost Flowers--Flowersfromtoday

The catkins of the trees could be their flowers so here they are: Pussy willow Trees

1/2. Salix gracilistyla melanostachys--Black Pussy willow. It has black catkins with red anthers. Different

3/4. Salix discolor---the fuzzy soft silver Pussy Willow we are used to seeing.

I guess Spring is almost here if these guys are blooming.

To see more flowers from around the world or to participate click on the yellow sunflower to your right>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>






14 comments:

VALKYRIEN said...

I have never seen the black ones! So special! We have the white in Norway, they have tried to bloom - but the snow and cold took them. They will come back, they always do. But the black was very unusual for me to see! Great picks by the way!

DeniseinVA said...

Wonderful! I have always loved them.

Ilanadavita said...

I haven't seen a bud around yet. Winter is beginning to seem long.

Lilli & Nevada said...

I love pussy willows, nice capture

Judy said...

Black pussywillows!! Never seen them before, but they are beautiful. I love the shadows in the second photo, especially.
Thanks for sharing!

EG CameraGirl said...

WOW! You are WEEKS ahead of us here in central Ontario!

My Today’s Flower’s post is at
More of Me - EG

Gill - That British Woman said...

I too have never seen black ones, we call them pussy willow..

Gill in Canada

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary Beth: Those are really neat, I don't think we will see them for a long time.

dot said...

I've never seen pussy willows before or if I did I didn't know it. lol. Beautiful pictures!

Napaboaniya.Elaine Ling said...

Beautiful!
During the Lunar New Year it's common to find the pussy willow in the homes of the Chinese decorated with red little ribbons as a mark of the start of Spring.

Annie said...

very interesting photos..and an interesting blog...thankyou...

and thanks for your visit to my blog.

Annie

BeanTownBoy said...

I've never seen black ones either! Very cool!

Luiz Santilli Jr said...

Hi Mary Beth,

Fantastic post and very interesting also.
Thanks for sharing!

Luiz

Carletta said...

I love the shadows in the second shot!
Your captured the softness nicely in the last shot.